Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Weighing In

Agh! Today is our first public weigh in. Scary stuff here. But first...

If you are confused about why I would post about our weight, read this. Caught up? Great!

For the most part, I believe I have done alright with keeping with our menu plan for August. As always, we have been quite busy and a few meals had to be moved around or just plain didn't happen because we were traveling that day. But I am actually quite pleased with myself that I have managed to sort of keep with a schedule for a week. Yep. Success in my book! In case you haven't figured this out about me yet, I am a mess. Quite literally. So for me to even remotely stick with a planned out schedule is something. Let's not even discuss my propensity for laziness or my skills at procrastination.

In the midst of trying to plan meals ahead of time, we are also trying to put Mr. Man on a gluten-free diet. He has many of the symptoms for gluten sensitivity, so we thought why not give it a go? If it helps him to feel better, then great! For anyone who might care to ask, no we have not had him allergy tested, nor have we talked to his doctor about this. We are totally self-diagnosing here. I have my CPA license and he holds a Masters in the Art of Teaching, surely those are enough to qualify us to make medical diagnoses, right? Seriously, though, those tests are expensive and we do not have the money for them. And if it is something we can figure out on our own just by changing the way we eat and not having to pay for tests, then we are going to give it a go. It also works out great with the whole eating healthier thing we are trying to do anyways. So we figure we would give it a month or two and see how he is doing and then take it from there.

Speaking of how he is doing. He somehow gave himself food poisoning or a stomach bug, not sure which it is yet. The boy will do anything to have a better weigh-in number than me! Yesterday he came home from work and was sick the rest of the night, poor guy. All I could think to do to help him was to remind him to drink plenty of water and to make a joke about how much weight he'll lose while sick. I am the best wife. Ever.

We are definitely eating healthier than we were a few weeks ago, so this is good. I miss sodas, a lot. But I have stayed strong and it has been 2 weeks since I had a Coke, or Dr. Pepper, or Pepsi, or.... Let me tell you, it hasn't been easy. Just typing this is making me want one. I cannot imagine what people with addictions go through! We have cut the snacking way down and have cut the fast food down quite a bit. Unfortunately because we travel so much, fast food is very convenient while on the road, so we still get it on those occasions. Ultimately I would like to get to the point where we pack our road trip meals, that way it would be healthier and cheaper. But for now, baby steps.

Husband started working out yesterday morning. Starting a workout routine that we will stick to is our next big "get healthy" goal. I am sure I could find a way to work it into our homeschool curriculum. This would probably be a good time to remind you that I am lazy.

Okay, so on to the numbers! In the past 2 weeks the Man has lost 11.8 pounds and I have lost 1.6 pounds. Not much for me, but I'll take it. We will probably give updates every 2 weeks and hopefully next time I'll be able to say that we have stuck with eating healthy and that we have been working out.

Are you trying to be more active and eating healthier too? How is it going for you?

~Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your loss! You've made a lot of great changes already. And isn't it so not fair how guys lose weight so much faster? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete