Thursday, August 1, 2013

Menu Planning: What did I Get Myself Into?

Don't I already have enough on my plate? Figuratively speaking, of course. Well...

Please take a moment and join me in my food world, pre August 1st.

Breakfast: .....what's that?
Lunch: a frozen pizza
Dinner: Cheez-its
Random snacks: chocolate
Drinks: got sugar?

That pretty much sums it all up. See why I need to make a change? So I decided to immerse myself into menu planning almost a month ago. This is what I learned.

- It takes a lot of time. I am guessing the first month is probably the hardest and most time consuming.
- It takes planning. Duh. Right? It takes a lot more planning than I initially thought.
- It takes looking at a calendar. Especially when your family does a whole lot of traveling! What days will we actually be home this month?
- It takes a budget. This I have not decided on yet, should I buy everything I can at the beginning of the month or just grocery shop week to week. I am sure in time I will figure out what works best for our family.

For now I am just going to start with planning dinners, lunch and breakfast will have to come later on as I get a better hold on this. Here is the menu I came up with for August. Lots of repetition for now, but most of these are quite simple and that makes me happy.

How do you like that calendar? I found it here on No Ordinary Moments and here on Homeschool Creations. I have also bookmarked Homeschool Creations as it looks like a website that I will be visiting a lot in the future.

Now that I have a menu penned down it is time to start writing up that shopping list. That'll take another month.

Speaking of, where is your favorite place to shop for groceries? And by favorite I mean quality groceries that are fairly inexpensive.

~Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Sprouts! and Target. Sprouts is for produce and cheese and meat, and sometimes stuff from the bulk section. Target is for non-cheese dairy and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target is my favorite place right now and have been thinking about trying Sprouts. Thanks! I will try to head that way today.

      Delete
  2. Aldi's is great for can goods, fresh produce, and other things. Then Kroger has good produce and sales. Also a 10%off on each Kroger product. Then there's Wal Mart for paper products etc. But don't put those in your meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, maybe that is why my food tastes like cardboard...

      Delete