Thursday, May 23, 2013

How To Get Vapor Rub Out Of Hair (in 50 easy steps)

If you are wondering why I would post about how to get vapor rub out of hair, you need to read this.

Caught up? Great!

I thought for sure that vapor rub had won this battle against mommy. I was doomed to letting it slowly wash out on its own or we were just going to have to shave off her hair. Not really. Though I honestly wasn't sure if I could win this one, I was going to give it another go.






This is what her hair looked like this morning, after already being washed 3 different times. Still greasy!







So we grabbed the olive oil.






And we soaked her hair in it.












After soaking her hair in olive oil and squeezing out the excess, we got the dish soap again.




Lathered her hair up and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water. We repeated this step one more time while she screamed and cried and threw a perfect little fit about getting water in her face. 






And? It worked, mommy won!!!

This is the face of a girl who does not want to have to wash her hair 6 times in 2 days again. Ever.




Look how great her hair looks now! It seriously looks so soft and shiny (not greasy) that I plan on doing the same with my hair. Now where is that vapor rub?

In the middle of one of the dish soap cycles, I asked Sweet Girl if she thought it would work. She said no. Hurt. my. heart. she did. Shouldn't this girl have every confidence in me? She was acting like the other three attempts we made did not work.

If you want to try this at home, start by giving your toddler a jar of vapor rub. If they cannot open jars on their own, open it for them. Now tell them you will have all sorts of fun if they will empty that jar full of vapor rub all over themselves being sure not to miss their head full of hair.

Special thanks to Whitney! Your suggestion rocked!

~Lisa


4 comments:

  1. I (a usually competent 23 year old male) have applied vapour rub to my hair thinking it might be a good styling product. I was not a good styling product.
    After the worlds longest shower and 8 washes using every shampoo I own it is still clinging to every strand.
    I can't tell you the relief at finding your post and knowing I am not alone in this abysmal situation.
    I can't wait to try your steps once I'm done crying, thank you for saving my hair and giving me a light at the end of the greasy tunnel.
    TLDR vapour rub is not a good styling product. Haunts your hair forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a good styling product*
      As a side effect my eyes are almost steamed off from the fumes, its hard to see what I'm typing. I'm not adulting well.

      Delete
  2. Hi I used it for my children's head lice. Now I cannot get it out. Can I use avocado or normal oil?

    ReplyDelete