Monday, August 5, 2013

Say It Ain't So

She woke up. She woke up and needed a little love to go back to sleep. There is nothing unusual about that and nothing that my hand laying gently on her chest and a pacifier in her mouth couldn't cure tonight. But I had a flash forward, a memory of her big sister when she was a tad older than Little Bit is now. It struck me how different things are this time around.

With the first child we could not wait to watch her grow up. Every milestone was met with fanfare and we immediately looked forward to the next milestone. Neither of us really knew what to expect and it was all just too exciting. Would she ever get her first teeth? Why is she taking so long to crawl? Did you hear her first words? Hurry up and walk, already. :)

I know now what milestones are ahead. I know now that not every child reaches those milestones at the same time. I know now that I want time to slow down. I am no longer in a hurry to see what they will learn next. I am no longer in a hurry for them to grow up. I want to enjoy this just a bit longer.

Yes, there are those days when I want to pull my hair out and I wish these years were past me. But those moments pass and the realization sets in that in a blink of an eye they will be out on their own, building their own families, and awaiting precious milestones of their own little ones. So while temper tantrums and diapers have currently overtaken my life, it is temporary and I am beyond grateful to have this chance to watch them grow and mature into beautiful little beings.

Tonight I look forward to all the bumps and bruises we will encounter along the way. I eagerly await all the tickles and giggles we will enjoy. I simply cannot wait to see everything they will learn along the way, to be there with them while they learn, and to learn along with them.

She woke up tonight and needed me. She will wake up one night and need someone else.

I cherish tonight.

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment